Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 29 January 2020
Culture Religion Monuments Christian Orthodox East Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Xanthi Vistonida

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Armenian
Roman Catholic
Jewish
Muslim
Christian Orthodox
LOCATION
East Macedonia and Thrace
Avdira
Alexandroupoli
Vistonida
Didymoticho
Doxato
Drama
Thassos
Kato Nevrokopi
Komotini
Xanthi
Prosotsani
Samothraki
Soufli
Stavroupoli
Filippi
Prefecture of Drama
Christian Orthodox: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

28.03.2006
Saint Nicolaos Temple,Porto Lagos.

Georgios Tsigaras
Source: C.E.T.I./R.C. Athena
© Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
print preview

LOCATION:It is located on the crannog of lagoon Vistonida(Bourou) near the fisherman's bend of Porto Lagos.

THE MONUMENT:The construction of the temple of Saint Nicolaos cannot be precisely dated.It is said that it was probably built after 1371 by workers of the lagoon and monks from Vatopedi and it is still unknown if it was built on remains of some other building.

Later in the 19th century was rebuilt as it was recently destroyed.This temple was probably built with low quality materials.Later on, the temple was rebuilt by the Metropolitan Of Xanthi Seraphem.During the Thracian combat (1912-1920)The Bulgars caused great damage to the temple,to the vivarium of the monastery dependency and to the settlements of Porto Lagos.

According to the builder's inscription which is in the lintel of the entrance the today's temple was built in 1904.

It is an only-room δρομικός temple with a δίριχτη roof and a loft on the west.At the exterior on the lintel of the south entrance of the marble icon of of Saint Nicolas.The temple is wooden and simple.It is consisted of three parts and it has a gable ending. The rest of the icons of the temple Jesus,Virgin Mary and Timios Prodromos were made by artists from Mount Athos in 1815.The icons of magnifical fishery at Tiberiada, Saint Dimitrios, Saint George,Saint Theodoros Stratilatis are posterior .A new ground floor building was built in 1958 in the place of the former hospice of the monastery dependency which is for the monks from Vatopedi who come and minister to the monastery dependency.

There is a modern temple dedicated to Panagia the "Pantanassa" a hundred meters from the temple on an artificial crannog which is joined to the other temple.