Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 11 December 2019
Culture Architecture Traditional architecture East Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Xanthi

Stone bridge at the 4th km of Xanthi-Stavroupoli road
(Photo: Nikolaos Th. Kokkas)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Tourism-Modern life
Culture
Natural Environment
Economy
LOCATION
East Macedonia and Thrace
Prefecture of Drama
Prefecture of Evros
Prefecture of Kavala
Prefecture of Xanthi
Prefecture of Rhodope
Traditional architecture: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

20/11/2006
Bridge at the 4th km of Xanthi-Stavroupoli road

Nikolaos Th. Kokkas

print preview

Following the road which is leading to Stavroupoli, 4 kilometers away from Xanthi, we meet an impressive three arch bridge with its one end demolished. It is 63 m in length and 3 m in width. The parts saved are 7 m in height and 10.30 m in length. The construction material of the bridge is white stone, an artwork sculpture. Semicircular locks are preserved at the bridge?s base.
The building of the bridge was completed in 1904, when the sultan Abdul Hamit was the leader of the area. At the south part of the bridge, the symbol of the half moon was curved. During the Second World War, in the spring of 1941, one part of the bridge was blown up by the Greek Army in order to delay the entering of the German forces. According to another version, Anton Tsaous (Antonis Fosteridis), the captain of the Greek Army, was the one who blew up the bridge in order to delay the entering of the Bulgarian Army in 1944.