Bridge at the 4th km of Xanthi-Stavroupoli road
Following the road which is leading to Stavroupoli, 4 kilometers away from Xanthi, we meet an impressive three arch bridge with its one end demolished. It is 63 m in length and 3 m in width. The parts saved are 7 m in height and 10.30 m in length. The construction material of the bridge is white stone, an artwork sculpture. Semicircular locks are preserved at the bridge?s base.
The building of the bridge was completed in 1904, when the sultan Abdul Hamit was the leader of the area. At the south part of the bridge, the symbol of the half moon was curved. During the Second World War, in the spring of 1941, one part of the bridge was blown up by the Greek Army in order to delay the entering of the German forces. According to another version, Anton Tsaous (Antonis Fosteridis), the captain of the Greek Army, was the one who blew up the bridge in order to delay the entering of the Bulgarian Army in 1944.