Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 10 December 2019
Culture Architecture East Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Xanthi Avdira

The Pamouktsoglou mansion at Avdira
(Photo: CETI)
The Pamouktsoglou mansion at Avdira. Ground plan of the ground floor and the level.
(Photo: Source: E. Skarlatidou-Μ. Anagnostidis, ?The Paouktsoglou family and mansion at Avdira?, Thrakika Chronika v.35, 1983. Xanthi. pp. 207-219.)

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
Webpage of Xanthi?s Prefecture
Formal webpage of Xanthi?s Prefecture
Webpage of Eastern Macedonia ? Thrace Region
Official webpage Eastern Macedonia ? Thrace Region

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Archaeology
Architecture
History
Museums
Mythology
Religion
Folklore
Traditional art forms - Professions
Source
Important persons
Caves
LOCATION
East Macedonia and Thrace
Avdira
Alexandroupoli
Vistonida
Drama
Thassos
Iasmos
Komotini
Maronia
Metaxades
Myki
Xanthi
Pagheo
Samothraki
Soufli
Feres
Filippi
Prefecture of Drama
Prefecture of Evros
Prefecture of Kavala
Prefecture of Xanthi
Prefecture of Rhodope
Architecture: Subtopics All topics

25-10-2006
Avdira

Chrisa Melkidi
Source: ceti
© Eastern Macedonia ? Thrace Region
print preview

The local architecture is a traditional Thracian one, reflecting the effort of the wealthy Christian orthodox community in the 19th century to protect itself from the dangers and conspiracies in the Ottoman period: houses communicating, with lockers and gateway channels. Characteristic sample of this architecture is the preserved chateau of Panagiotis Pamouktsoglou, a tobacco trader coming from Constantinople who settled in Avdira in the 19th century,. The Pamouktsoglou mansion is a castle, a typical Thracian one with a wide front side and an open chagiati with a yard. Crypts, hidden wells and basements with a strong stone construction were the elements that created an impregnable house (possibly around 1860-70).


Source: E. Skarlatidou-Μ. Anagnostidis, ?The Paouktsoglou family and mansion at Avdira?, Thrakika Chronika v.35, 1983. Xanthi. pp. 207-219