© Eastern Macedonia ? Thrace Region
| print preview
The local architecture is a traditional Thracian one, reflecting the effort of the wealthy Christian orthodox community in the 19th century to protect itself from the dangers and conspiracies in the Ottoman period: houses communicating, with lockers and gateway channels. Characteristic sample of this architecture is the preserved chateau of Panagiotis Pamouktsoglou, a tobacco trader coming from Constantinople who settled in Avdira in the 19th century,. The Pamouktsoglou mansion is a castle, a typical Thracian one with a wide front side and an open chagiati with a yard. Crypts, hidden wells and basements with a strong stone construction were the elements that created an impregnable house (possibly around 1860-70).
Source: E. Skarlatidou-Μ. Anagnostidis, ?The Paouktsoglou family and mansion at Avdira?, Thrakika Chronika v.35, 1983. Xanthi. pp. 207-219