Search for

Advanced search
 
Home 20 November 2019
Culture Religion Monuments Christian Orthodox East Macedonia and Thrace Prefecture of Xanthi Xanthi

Audio-Video files
No audio or video files.

Useful links
No links.

Other files
No other files.
Topics
Armenian
Roman Catholic
Jewish
Muslim
Christian Orthodox
LOCATION
East Macedonia and Thrace
Avdira
Alexandroupoli
Vistonida
Didymoticho
Doxato
Drama
Thassos
Kato Nevrokopi
Komotini
Xanthi
Prosotsani
Samothraki
Soufli
Stavroupoli
Filippi
Prefecture of Drama
Christian Orthodox: Subtopics All topics
There are no more subtopics under the current topic

05.02.2006
Monastery of Panagia Archaggeliotisa , Xanthi

Georgios Tsigaras
Source: C.E.T.I./R.C. Athena
© Region of Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
print preview

LOCATION:The monastery is located on the North East of Xanthi.Elevation about 160 m.

HISTORY:According to tradition,the monastery took the name "ARCHAGELIOTISA" after a small icon ,Virgin Mary being attended by archangels,which is kept in it.According to testimonies the foundation of the monastery is dated approximately between the 12th and 13th century.The crypt ,which is located under the bema and is dated back to the 11th century,boosts this unwritten tradition.It is known that a manuscript copying laboratory operated in the Monastery from the 16th century and on.During the 19th and the beginning of 20th century,due to the financial acme of Xanthi because of tobacco grouth and trade ,the monastery possessed a great fortune.The earthquake of 1829 caused great damage to the buildings of the monastery.Metropolite of Xanthi ,Evgenios (1831-1848)worked to rebuild it.The expences were covered by the denizens and the wealthy tobacconists of Xanthi.In 1913 Bulgars,who had occupied the area,took the heirlooms of the monastery and carried them to Sophia.Today it is a men's monastery and The Metropolitan Ecclesiastical Museum is housed at the eastern wing.

CATHOLIC:It is dedicated to Virgin Mary's....... and is celebrated on the 15th of August.It is a church with a cupola.It was built in 1841 probably on the foundations of the previous one copied from the mid byzantine period.In the temple, frescos have been preserved(second half of 19th century).The overbearing icons of Christ and Maddona (16th century)on the modern temple are very interesting.The bell tower according to a graffito was rebuilt in 1844.