© Eastern Macedonia ? Thrace
| print preview
Maronia is the ancient Greek waterfront colony of the homonymous ancient city of Thracian Kikones mentioned by Homer. This settlement is prospering until the Byzantine period, located in the same position. After 1513 it moves higher, to its contemporary position, in order to gain protection from the pirates. In the end of the 19th century it met a great economical flourishing because its inhabitants were wealthy ship owners and merchants who traded oil and tobacco at Constantinople and Smirni, even Russia, Romania and Egypt. This is why the traditional local architecture has an urban character that is reflected on the mansions preserved even after the destructions of the 20th century wars (during these wars the settlement lost the two thirds of its population). Impressive constructions of urban type are built following the traditional building technique of mansions in the greater area. The houses are following the Thracian architectural type that flourished in the 19th century and that is why houses have hidden internal doors linked to courtyard doors -for protection.
Source: G. Kizis, ?THRACE?, Traditional Greek Architecture, v.8: Macedonia B ? Thrace. Melisa, Athens 1991. http://www.xronos*gr/news/detail.php?1D=22649.