SAMPLES OF SCANNED MANUSCRIPTS
A small sample of the manuscript collections of ILNE has been scanned and documented. The selection of the manuscripts was based on the following prerequisites:
- The representation of wider areas of the Hellenophone dialectal space, both inside and outside the national borders.
- The illuminative and appropriate rendering of the phonetic picture of the material (i.e. rendering the local accent)
- The richness of the material, i.e. the occurrence of many words from diverse fields of human activity.
- The meaningful adequacy of the material. The manuscripts should quote examples of use of the words in the context of everyday speech, as well as in songs, proverbs, mottos etc. Depicting the dialectal use of the language in discourse, i.e. in small-sized texts, renders it particularly useful.
- The representation of numerous collectors.
- The representation of a wide time span of the collections in order to portray: (i) the evolution in the collecting methodology and (ii) the diachronic evolution of the dialects/idioms
- The avoidance of material which may be important but difficult to use due to various reasons (e.g. illegible and/or abbreviated text)
From the digitized material, a sample of the scanned pages of the manuscripts numbered:
Note: the images of the manuscripts are accompanied by a documentation file, which includes a table with pertinent information.